Important Concepts Visualized and Explained.

Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Kalahari vs. Training

Kalahari wins.

The Kalahari is a water park in the Wisconsin Dells. This time of year, the fun is inside a three-acre building where there is a collection of rides, slides, and pools that alternatively thrill and beat the bodies of people like me who enjoy the excitement of the slide downbut not necessarily the four-story climb back up to the loading zone. Impressively the ride provides water from every angle as you navigate its turns, and between the trip down and the landing at at the bottom, you will be immersed from every angle with water ending up where it may or may not be intended.

After two days of excitement, my legs were dead, my lungs were fully chlorinated, and many parts of my body were vigorously pruned. Needless to say this knocked me two days off my training regimen.

In a wonderful coincidence, the Wisconsin Dells area is full of places that have what's known as "recovery food" to help rebuild the system and prepare the novice runner for a full return to action.

Wally's House of Embers
is just such a place. Since I wasn't making a big run in the Dells, no carbo-loading was necessary. Fortunately prime rib was available that helped to rebuild my protein store and give me the energy I need to carry on. In a pinch, the tasty crab legs, which I also sampled, would have sufficed, but taking training seriously means protein--plenty of that from the House of Embers prime rib. My hearty thanks to the Obois family who also supplied me with the other pillar of training, a nice glass of robust red wine.

Now that my lungs are clear and my protein store restored, I'm ready to resume training.